Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Total Eclipse Passage Reflection

I chose to write about the last passage of this essay.
Dillard writes, "We never looked back. It was a general vamoose, and an odd one, for when we left the hill, the sun was still partially eclipsed-  a sight rare enough, and one which, it itself, we would probably have driven five hours to see. But enough is enough. One turns at least even from glory itself with a sigh of relief. From the depths of mystery, and even from the heights of splendor, we bounce back and hurry for the latitudes of home."
This passage stood out to me because it not only addresses the eclipse and what happened after, but also human nature in general. I liked it because I think there is truth in the way she tells us that humans seek familiarity. This sentence particularly stuck with me:  "even from the heights of splendor, we bounce back and hurry for the latitudes of home." What I believe she is saying is that even when we have reached the height of existence and are at the peak of everything beautiful and amazing, we will always return to the familiarness of routine. I find this happens to me time and time again, that even when I have everything I wanted I still find myself back at where I began, sticking to the same familiar path. There is a discomfort in breaking from the usual, and this can hold us back from experience amazing things.
I think this passage fits into the whole essay well. It wraps up everything with a little bit of reflective writing, widening the view to not only the eclipse but to human nature in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment